Internal Affairs & Professional Standards for Law Enforcement
Presented by: Greg Anderson, On-Target Solutions Group
December 2 - 3, 2020, 8 AM - 4 PM.
14 hours (POST #10444-0004)
COURSE OVERALL LEARNING GOAL:
The professional standards model is a must for law enforcement and government officials to be prepared before a critical incident occurs. This course sets the stage for law enforcement professionals to create an agency wide practice of professional standards for all agency operations. In the covered material, attendees will understand "best practices" including how to avoid the problems before they occur and properly address issues that do arise.
This is a comprehensive course covering the entire internal affairs process through final discipline. Participants will learn the skills necessary to review, investigate and complete internal affairs investigations based on sound investigative techniques and within legal guidelines.
SPECIFIC PERFORMANCE OBJECTIVES:
• Current climate between public and police
• Breaking the cycle of mediocrity
• The professional standards model
• 5 root causes of discipline problems
• Stakeholders and their perceptions
• Types of internal investigations
• The complaint process
• The investigation process
• Officer involved shootings and major incidents
• Applicable case law
• Employee rights
• Appropriate discipline procedures
• Workplace searches
• False Complaints
• Official hearing requirements
• How discipline is determined
• The effect of untruthfulness
Who should attend: This nationally acclaimed course is for law enforcement executives, supervisors, internal affairs investigators, human resource personnel and anyone who desires to understand law enforcement professional standards and internal affairs investigations.